Gavin Mitchell – Artists Statement:
MIXED UP describes the style of my work, the inspiration for my work, the material for my work and ultimately the images I produce.
The human and material landscape is where I draw my inspiration. Captured through my lens or found through digging deep, the environment I live in and the world I travel through provides a limitless source of references that enthuse, intrigue and excite.
My own photography or ‘found’ material provides me with the origins from which my artwork is created. I am always striving to find ways of adding another visual ‘layer’ to the inherently two-dimensional nature of my source.
The eclectic nature of my work is a reflection of my restless ‘digging’, either visually or literally. Every corner you turn or old box you dig through can send you off on an entirely new adventure.
The style of my work and the range of methods I exploit mean that I can take a unique approach to my solo projects and those I am asked to be involved in creating distinctive and original works of art
Final artwork is produced as one off original or limited edition prints using either hand-cut mixed media collage or digital mixed media montage.
I have now established my base at Wimbledon Art Studios where my creative output is focused on producing the original edition prints and collages along with private and commercial commissions.
– Gavin Mitchell, 2014.
Selection of Recent Exhibitions & Commissions
- ‘Their Future’ Photographic Portraits of Children: Solo Show: Accra, Ghana: Sept 2012
- South Place Hotel, Commission for 40 Original Art Works: July – Sept 2012
- Mixed Media, Collage & Photography
In conjunction with DDA London and Hoxton Art Gallery:
- ‘Fourth Wall’ Solo Show, Northcote Gallery: London: Apr/May 2013
- ‘On the Perimeter,The Edge of Photography’: High House Gallery: July/Aug 2013
- ‘BodyMaps’ Solo Exhibition: Chelsea & Westminster Hospital: Sept 2013
In conjunction with Chelsea & Westminster NHS Foundation Trust
- Strarta: Saatchi Gallery: October 2013
- ‘Return to Splendour’: Collagistes Collective Group Show: Feb